Saturday, February 15, 2014

Race Day Bling

Today's post has no premier bling, but still some very personal meaningful bling. You'll see why soon.

I didn't sleep much, being nervous and sick, so waking up at 5:30 wasn't a problem. It was pouring down rain, freezing cold, and gusting winds around 20 miles per hour. Not a good start to my first long distance race. 

It seemed everything was working against me running this race. First the snow storm, then the head cold, now the weather. Then there was the traffic trying to get to the race. It was dark, raining, and they had already blocked off roads for the race. 

When we finally parked, we had about 20 minutes till start time (6:30). My husband and dad waited with me at the start. My mom was smart and waited in the car. A few minutes before the start, the rain died down and it got warmer as people piled into the starting area. 

We finally started and I warmed up very quickly. Running will do that. 

Prior to this race, my race experience consisted of 4 or 5 5Ks. My longest distance ever run was 6.5 miles, and that was over a month ago. I just wanted to finish this race and not die. 

The first few miles were easy. I kept my goal pace. The sun gradually came out. I had planned to walk at certain intervals, but forgot to set my timer up before the race. I began walking at water stations and every 14 minutes for one minute. 

Soon there was a welcome sight: my mom, dad, and husband just after mile 5 with more water. I stopped briefly to give them my jacket, get a little juice, and take another energy gummy, then it was back to the race. 

The next few miles were around a small park area, so they planned to meet me again on my way back out of that area, which would be around mile 7.5. 

I saw them and they saw me, but I didn't need to stop that time. They cheered for me and I waved to them, energized by the gummy and support, and also knowing I was over half way done. 

Mile 8 was when my feet started hurting. My mom had brought band aids since is probably get blisters on my feet from running in wet socks. My shoes were pretty old by running shoes standards. I could feel how wet and cold my socks were. I had sweat so much previously that now, getting wind off the ocean, I was freezing. My hands were tinglinging. I was getting hungry. 

At the turn to mile 11, the wind changed. We were now running straight into it. I had planned to run the last three miles, but the wind made me feel like I was running under water. 

All along the last few miles were people shouting, holding signs, and ringing cowbells. They told us we were almost done, keep going, you're doing great. That encouragement really meant so much and helped me as I pushed against the wind to finally finish. All I could think about was a warm meal and taking my shoes off. 

At mile 13, I saw my family. They encouraged me even more as I took the last steps and finally crossed the finish line. 


I had expected to have some sort of carthartic experience at the finish, but I didn't. I just stopped my gps watch, turned off the music, and bent over, exhausted. Everything hurt and I was freezing!



I made my way to my family and they said they were proud of me. The race had provided lots of food and drinks, so I limped through that tent and met my family on the other side. We walked slowly to the car and drove to the hotel. I had expected to walk around, socialize, and take pictures. Instead, I just wanted to take my shoes off and get into bed. 

So that's what I did!


After sleeping a few hours, I took a shower and ate lunch with my parents. Then I went back to bed until the after party. 

But this is the big thing. In the Bible, it talks about working for the prize, running with endurance for our ultimate reward. I knew I would receive a medal for finishing. That's one of the things that kept me going. I had never gotten a medal for running before, and even leading up to the race, 13.1 miles seemed impossible. 

Aside from my engagement and wedding rings, this is one of the most meaningful pieces of bling I've ever had. This is the reward I ran for - the medal and everything it stands for. It's proof that the impossible is possible. That with training, I can achieve my goals. That a journey of 13.1 miles begins with a single step. That I can and I will do 26.2 miles one day, a triathlon one day, and maybe more later. Who knows? The point is that I can. 


What do you want to do? What goal is standing before you that seems impossible? You CAN do it. So get started. Don't wait until tomorrow, start now. Get this bling, get this endorphin rush, and get this proud of yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment